A Nap or Cornflakes?

I've often heard it said to me "have a nap, you'll feel better" but no, no. Not me. The temptation is so great. I'm in the thick of indecisiveness right now, at this very minute. The two boys are at school and baby girl has just fallen into the sleepiest of slumbers. I can hear her calm breathing and I'd just love to snuggle down beside her under a fleecy blanket. It's a golden opportunity. Of course there is a world of work to do but this I could ignore for a half an hour surely. I'm pretty tired today, in fact I'm always tired, I only get time to realise when I stop moving for a few seconds which is long enough for the tiredness to aim, fire and hit me right between the eyes.

I can't though. I'd just feel too guilty, it's almost built in to me, for some reason sleep during the day is almost sinful. I'm always looking for opportunities to get work done without the cubbies vying for my attention at the same time, which in itself is a tremendous guilt trip.  "Why are you ironing mum? It's so boring"... Tell me about it ZZzzzzzzzzzz. It's such a dilemma. I obviously choose not iron at this moment, my super steamy iron might wake baby girl, and besides, any excuse will do not to iron. I look around and actually realise, heck, I'm actually pretty much on top of everything else. So I could justify a nap.

But no, I can't give in to temptation. I've been here before. I lie down and fall asleep for 2, 10, 20 minutes, it doesn't matter it's always the same result. A day time nap leaves me feeling like a train hit me. Literally. I wake with a start after a day time nap, I'm groggy, disorientated and probably extra grumpy. I thud back to reality as if someone has pushed me off the proverbial train, and I've hit the platform during rush hour. My head spins and I definitely don't feel any less tired or the slightest bit refreshed. Eurgh! No I can't put myself through that right now. I know there's a science behind it all and there's different stages of sleep, REM etc but I guess my steadfast guilt will ensure any of my naps, for now, won't reap any benefits. 

So instead, I go the cupboard, take out a bowl and the box of Cornflakes, add the milk (ok, and some sugar), I sit at the laptop and I write. I might not be less tired but I'm feeling a hell of a lot more productive and have quite enjoyed some precious silent moments to myself. xxx
 
 


Comments

Popular Posts