So Father's Day Wasn't Yesterday...


So…yesterday wasn’t Father’s Day. Who knew? Apparently, I didn’t. Was I the only woman in Ireland on the wrong page yesterday? I thought I was on the ball this year, not off the bloody radar altogether, I even threw a card in with the onions when I was doing groceries on Wednesday. Saturday night after midnight, albeit after ¾’s of a bottle of white wine, I toasted hubby and wished him a Happy Fathers days. “What did you get me” he asked. I explain it’s just a card because I hadn’t been quite as organised as I thought, so there was no pressie as such, for the big day. But I wasn’t ruling out scooting up to buy him some chocolates in the morning.

I woke the next morning with knees jammed in ribs, airway restricted by a toddler and duvet lost to the other little people in the bed. Happy Father’s Day! You’re welcome to a lie in, I’m outta here anyway, had enough of this trying to sleep business.  I scurried out trying to write the card before hubby got up, you know to preserve some element of surprise. I get the kids to sign it, and basically look like I’ve made more of an effort because I’m feeling tremendously guilty. I manage this perfectly and the card is presented. I ask our cubs why they haven’t anything made by their own little hands from school for Father’s Day. Surely, you’d think this was enough of alarm bell. I should have guessed when they stared back at me, with their little “what is she on about” faces. Never mind, the card I got will have to do. Teachers are very busy, especially at this time of year. I should not have taken it for granted that there would be handmade lovelies to present to daddy. Next year I will be the home craft queen, and we will have all sorts of homemade glittery lovelies to give to all the dads in our family.

Turns out, hubby had to work for a few hours yesterday, so not much of a lie on was indulged. I had a rehearsal to attend. I bundled the little ones in to the car. This drill has changed lately since little miss diva toddler has decided she wants to sit in the middle seat, and because NO ONE argues with her ladyship, I’m back to buckling 3 belts again as she has the only seat the boys could buckle by themselves.

10 minutes to rehearsal, and I can’t really rock up with 3 kiddies in tow. Then I remembered my own dad!! I’ll call my dad. He might watch them for an hour. Although he’s probably having a lie on for Father’s Day. Hmm, I call him. No reply. Well, I guess I better stop and get him a card and chocolates because I can’t very well land on the doorstep asking him to babysit on Father’s Day, having woken him up from a lie on without a sweetener. I fly into local shop, with the little people pulling sweets and Peppa Pig paraphernalia from literally everywhere around me. I frantically ask the guys behind the counter where the cards are for Father’s Day are… more staring at me, like I’m a flupping nut. What is wrong with everyone? They point at the place where all the other cards are, I knew where this was already. I look at them, kind of wondering if they know where things are at all. I walk back to the regular card stand, assisted by the shop assistant. Low and behold there are 2 cards for Father’s Day on the display!! Woohoo!!! I tell the shop assistant I’m so lucky there are any left at this stage. I’m a little late in the game. More blank stares from the shop assistant.

I effortlessly pop us all back into the car and head up to the road to my dad’s house with a lovely ‘Grandad’ card and chocolates melting on the front seat. I pull up outside dad’s house and my phone rings and it’s my bestie giving me the heads up that Father’s day isn’t until next week actually…What!!!

Have I to do all of this again next week?

 

Comments

Popular Posts