THE CRUNCH OF AN APPLE


And this right here, is exactly what I am talking about...

It's 1 am and I'm just after waking slightly irritated, until I realise I'm actually really irritated.  As if dropping a glass bottle of vinegar on your screen only a few short weeks ago wasn't freakily unfortunate enough. I had only just recovered from the rage and shock of realising the bottle of vinegar was unscathed, as my phone lay in smithereens. Can someone good at maths, please tell me just what are the chances?? That phone was 9 months old.

Then can someone tell me what are the chances of you driving over your own phone??? Your own, new, less than 6 weeks old (not to name drop) iPhone 6?? That you swear you actually heard crunch, even though there was 3 kids, a radio and a car engine going. The phone you still got out and lifted up off the gravel hoping blindly upon hopes that maybe... just maybe... the wonderful otter box cover had worked it's magic. No no no no no, it didn't. AND I got glass in my finger.

It's incomprehensible... who the hell does that??

Alas, it is me and people like me, half fried trying to bundle three kids into a car after you've done a crazy cardio gym class. It's dark, they're tired. There are teddys to be negotiated, bottles and beakers, jackets and bags falling on the ground outside the car as you once again bundle, belt and buckle them all in. We were in an extra rush of course,  because I wanted to get home and put dinner on for hubby, already feeling guilty for taking a gym class and not having the kids home yet.

I waved at my parents, all delighted that we were ready for off. Took a quick glance for phone. Remembered seeing a text from my brother on said phone after gym, so thought it's definitely here somewhere, under the 2 litres of milk, Frozen DVD, sweatshirt, changing bag on the passenger seat. I drove a little and then thought it best to find it before driving home. So I pulled over, checked EVERYWHERE, and it was gone. To cut the nasty saga short, two trips up and down the road later, and, well we know the fate of the phone.

On my return home, I can safely say the kids were never so quiet, they knew I was very upset. Probably looking on at the back of my head, as I muttered to myself in disbelief and uttered a few 'Jesus Christ's' with arms flailing, in between steering us home. Occasionally, I would snap out of it and put on a cheery voice and try to lighten the drama, but I immediately slipped back to my wa wa wa blub, at the steering wheel. This was too big to pretend everything was ok. That was too much money to drive over. I was sick to the stomach.

I counted when I got home,  9 bags I offloaded from the boot, along with all the other little bits that had broken loose in the car. And that's just one day. 3 school bags, 1 baby changing bag, 1 laptop bag, 1 camera bag, 1 gym bag, 1 tripod bag, 1 handbag. 2 jackets, a hoody, 2 litres of milk, my wallet, a Frozen dvd, bottle of water, an Elsa doll.  4 trips from car to house later, in the windy dark to get all in.  Stressballs!!!

Is it any wonder with all this luggage, darkness, noise and bad weather, one's phone could just slip out of your pocket unnoticed? There is so much more to the almost proverbial "school run" that one can imagine. The lucky parent that gets to hop into their car and head off to their working day, minus the school run, will inevitably arrive at work less stressed, better dressed and with a working phone. Sometimes it really is impossible to keep all the balls in the air (or phones in your pockets).

Yet, would you trade places? Not on your nelly! it's a stressful blessing and a privilege to be able to do the school run. So after I get a few hours sleep and settle my rage, I'll get up and do it all again tomorrow, sans phone. Goodnight! Sonja x

Comments

Popular Posts