THIS | Ed Sheeran


This day two years ago...
It was one of those absolutely perfect days we all cherish because they are precious, and in honesty, they are rare. Perhaps that's why everything about it is so beautifully engraved in my mind.

The morning was the usual chaos. I scurried, hurried and waddled around trying to get the boys ready for Crèche, with a not too large 8 month old pregnancy bump up front. There was a significant hint that this bump was going to make it's move. So feeling excited and calm, I drove the boys to school, came back to the house and put my hospital case in the car. Feeling like a really super super-mum, I hopped in to the car to drive down to the hospital, on what was a beautiful bright sunny morning. I listened to Ed Sheeran on the way down. My favourite album in 2013.

It was the loveliest of feelings parking the car and all the time wondering, if we really were going to meet this little one 4 weeks earlier than we thought. To cut a not so long story even more short, the wonderful midwife confirmed, yes indeed. I'm not sure why but excitement was all I felt. Right, I better ring my hubby I guess :)

"What's up, I'm just in a meeting?" to which I sincerely respond, in the freakiest of calm ways, "Ok, well I'm just in the delivery suite, but there's still time, so finish up there and come along when you're done" ??????? Those 'GentleBirth' tracks I had listened to for the previous few months were obviously working their magic, I was definitely under their influence. The meeting finished fairly promptly and a few short hours later, about 4 if I recall, she was here. I have no words to describe my recollection. Life is far from perfect, but this moment, everything with and about it, just was.

Our welly wearing, self-willed little lady is 2 today, and this morning I had the absolute pleasure of waking up with her beside me, thanks to a coughing outburst mid slumber last night. She literally opened her eyes and said "Mammy", kicked her little legs excitedly and put her little arms around me to squeeze a hug.

She is adored and loved by us all, her brother's were more excited about her birthday than their own. She is funny, stubborn, sings, dances, talks, fights, hugs, kisses, plays football, loves Frozen and wears wellies, almost every day. Anyone's wellies will  do. She is the light in all our lives.

On the day she was born, I sang the Ed Sheeran songs she would have been so familiar with, to her, having played them over and over in my car, corny as that sounds.

"This is the start of something beautiful", and it was, for us all."You are the start of something new, and she has been, for us all. "You are the words, I will sing", and that's what we are doing right now. She is sitting on my knee as I type this, and we are listening to Ed Sheeran, while the boys are in the background interrupting the bliss  ever so slightly, arguing about Mine Craft :)  Sonja x

Comments

Popular Posts